Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Wild Weekly Photo Challenge – Birds of a Feather

Here's another weekly photo challenge...birds of a feather!

I was SO happy when I saw this challenge, you know, being a professional bird watcher and all :P
But when I realized it was over in a few hours, I just had to scramble for whatever I had. Hope you like it!

These first two were taken in Nicaragua during my field biology quarter.

A hummingbird in its nest
This little guy was nearly impossible to see! The only thing that gave him away was his wing flap. There were actually two tiny eggs in there too!


Rufous motmot / Baryphthengus martii
At least I think that's its scientific name. Anyway, this is the national bird of Nicargua, so even though this may not be my best shot, I'm putting it up anyway in honor of a beautiful country full of surprises. I kind of like the way it contrats against the greenery!

These next two were taken at the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park in Malaysia...world's largest free-flight walk-in aviary! I think President Clinton's been there!

Sun Conure / Aratinga solstitialis 
I'm guessing he likes the color yellow...or maybe just the corn!

A beautiful raptor
If anyone could help me ID this bird, I'd really appreciate it! I simply love this profile but feel sad that he has no name!

And finally, one from my back yard in San Jose, California (literally).

Black-crowned night heron / Nycticorax nycticorax
I stumbled upon this mean looking fella in the parking lot next to my house. He caught my attention because he was the smallest heron I'd seen yet! From a side view, you could automatically tell from he's a type of heron, but from this straight shot, I think he looks kind of like a kite with those red eyes and white coloring. And it looks like he has attitude of a raptor too from that glare! 

And to end things, I leave you with a video. I know most people who participate in this are photographers, but if any birder stumbles upon this post, this one's for you!




I’m participating in LetsBeWild.com’s Wild Weekly Photo Challenge. This week’s Challenge is: Birds of a Feather!

No comments:

Post a Comment